Wednesday, July 19, 2017 / by Brittini Martinez
What do they mean? HVAC is a shortened word for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning. As you know, heating and cooling are HUGE when the weather turns hot and frigid during the summer and winter months. Being up to date on how to keep your unit running efficiently and in good working order is key to avoiding a huge bill/repair cost during those busy seasons when systems tend to fail, and repairs are common! Read on, and you will probably find something out you didn’t know before!
1. Factors such as rightsizing, system updating, and types of refrigerant used can significantly affect HVAC efficiency.
2. An electronic air cleaner is 40x more efficient than a standard throwaway filter in removing unwanted particles from your home.
3. A variable speed heat pump can trim energy costs by as much as 40%.
4. You can increase the efficiency of your home by up to 30% by investing in proper insulation and sealing air leaks around windows and doors.
5. In NYC, it is estimated that poorly fitted air conditioners cost buildings $130 million to $180 million a year in extra fuel consumption!
6. An oversized HVAC system increases installation costs, wastes energy, and costs more in overall operating costs than a correctly sized system.
7. 75% of the electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off – so unplug and conserve!
8. The Romans were the first civilization to use any type of warm-air heating system.
9. The first air conditioner wasn’t for people’s comfort! The first modern air conditioner was invented by Willis Carrier in 1902 for a publishing company in Brooklyn. The machine kept temperature and humidity low so that paper didn’t expand and contract. Carrier never intended for his invention to be solely used for comfort!
10. The top 3 commercial energy uses in the US
Tips and facts provided